Dating east kilbride speed dating america american singles
The Auldhouse Arms was a drovers’ inn, dating back hundreds of years, located on one of the main roads south through East Kilbride.
The village, on the southern outskirts of the town, grew up around it, and a post office, shop and blacksmith’s were added.
The names of the children and their fathers’ occupations are familiar today – the Strangs of Auldhouse Farm and Cogrunnan Mill; the Watts of Lockartshields (now at Benthall); the Gilmours of Crosshill and the Allisons of Lickprivick (now at Laigh Cleughearn).
The school roll averaged 50 and the rural area covered by the school throws into relief the distances walked by the schoolchildren – Logoch in the south, Flatt to the east and young Alexander Wilson from Craigmill to the west.
The community was much involved in curling during the winter months on an outdoor rink at Crosshill Farm.
AULDHOUSE was well covered from a Church of Scotland viewpoint over the centuries.
On the departure of Moncreiff in 1843, William Carrick was appointed Minister in his place and served until his death in 1869.
AULDHOUSE owes its origins to the old drove roads which were used to herd sheep and black cattle from Scotland to England.
It is probable that Auldhouse, or Old House, owes its name to an ancient building located there. THE prosperity of Auldhouse was built firmly on agriculture.
For many years the Auldhouse Arms had a post office and shop adjacent.
Thomas Grant became headmaster in that same year of 1866 and he died in 1894, aged 59, at Streamoch, where his father, Thomas, was a farmer.
This new school had no playground and was not considered to be ideal.